Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Early Warning System

I'm impressed by Coda's ability to figure out the "good guys" from the "bad guys". Or at least the "be-wary-of-me guys". Today on a walk we passed 4 different gentlemen. All physically different in every way conceivable. All were greeted with a wagging tail and an attempt to lick them silly. It's nice to know my dog's not prejudiced.

But the happy greeting isn't always the case, which, honestly, makes me feel safer. Every so often we will come upon someone and the hair slowly rises. The collar starts to pull. And I feel a slight vibration through the leash telling me that while I might not be able to to hear it yet, she's starting to growl. She stands between me and the other person, who by this point is usually across the street or taking a different route considering the size and look of my dog. And I'm a-o-kay with that. I think the only time she really had me worried was when we never saw anyone. We went out for our nightly walk and before we'd gone 100 feet her hair was up, she was growling audibly, and she was pulling me back to the gate to get back into the complex, and then inside our home. For the next 15 minutes she walked between our back window and the front door, sniffing, growling, and watching like a hawk. She refused to go back out, even after she'd calmed down.

Several people have asked if I carry pepper spray or own a weapon that goes with us on our jaunts. I don't feel like I need one. With Coda, I feel like I get an early warning. And that she'll protect me. She doesn't search out trouble. She only makes me aware of possibly "iffy" situations. And will even lead me away, to keep me safe. She's my most trusted line of defense.

Those of you that hang out with me are probably tired of hearing it. However, I really do have a good dog.

1 comment:

  1. Coda is incredible! I never tire of hearing of her amazingness. And mostly that's because I also share story after story of my amazing K9s too. I love that we have that in common! I had never heard this story though...of her dragging you back inside. Aren't dogs amazing!?

    ReplyDelete